Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Do you need an MC at Events - part 1

Hey Everyone - this will be a 12 part series. Too much for one reading. Enjoy.

Part I -Why have an MC at an event?
By Michael Sage Schindler of Lightning Shakes New York

A good majority of all events we do with DJs the clients want an MC: Most likely 80%. There are some events that are strictly background and ambient music that really do not call for MCs, so that covers maybe 10% of the gigs. The other 10% of gigs that select a 1 man DJ is generally due to budgetary constraints, and of course that’s understandable.

When I get a call I don’t push clients to “get” something or demand they get a “minimum” package. I do suggest services based on my experience. I had an experience last night at a wedding that led to a small epiphany about MCs. There are certain events that absolutely call for an MC. Certainly mitzvahs and kids parties of any kind need an MC. But many people, and I was among this crowd prior to my own wedding, don’t think they need an MC for their wedding. In asking them why it’s usually for this reason: They don’t like what they have seen in the past, and feel that it’s a wasted expense.

When I ask if they’ve ever seen an MC that they have liked typically the answer is no. When I ask what it is about the MC they didn’t like, it usually has to do with a grating style and lack of personalization and warmth. Honestly, I wouldn’t blame them for not wanting an MC if this were my experience. Funny thing is there are many top event and wedding planners in the industry who hate DJs for the same reason. Either they’re too cheesy, or too loud and obnoxious or too arrogant, or they can’t create with taste. When I tell explain what a great MC does and ask them if that were something they would like the answer is almost always yes. More tomorrow.

No comments: